Construction Management or Construction Project Management (CPM) is the overall planning, coordination, and control of a project from beginning to completion. CPM is aimed at meeting a client's requirement in order to produce a functionally and financially viable project.
- Coordination between client, users, consultants, manufacturers, govt. organisations
- Prepare contract conditions and clauses.
- Prepare general and technical, material and item specifications.
- Prepare bill of quantities.
- Identify limits of responsibilities of each trade contractors, suppliers and manufacturers.
- Establish general requirements for contract compliance.
- Establish process and mechanism for verifying progress of construction.
- Establish QAQC (Quality Assurance and Quality Control) program.
- Provide knowledge of various materials and methods for achieving desired design intents and owners requirements.
- Provide knowledge of legal limits of various laws and utility requirements for taking maximum benefits during design phase.
- Provide cost and time estimates for various design schemes and suggest the best alternatives.
- Prepare detailed cost budget.
- Selection of qualified trade contractors.
- Invite tenders from various trade contractors and material suppliers.
- Receive, analyze bids and recommend to owner for award.
Project schedules and coordination
- Invite all trade contractors and material suppliers for discussions to prepare time and cost schedules.
- Prepare time and cost schedule and agree the same with contractors, suppliers.
- Establish monitoring system for project progress.
- Maintain a tracking system for current and future activities.
- Process R.F.I.'s (Request for Information) register and monitor the same.
- Coordination between all designers, agencies and contractors for changed conditions.
- Process and get approved shop drawings.
- Process and approve product specifications.
- Inspect and test each material for proper compliance of specifications.
- Identify changes and change conditions and inform all concerned.
- Evaluate cost impact of changes.
- Prepare budget and get monthly update and variation report.
- Monitor cost estimates.
Assistance in execution
- Giving necessary guideline to all agencies, contractors for complicated works.
- Periodical technical supervision of the site to guide the site engineers and contractors for interpretation of drawings, specifications and quality of work.
- To appoint site engineers for the day-to-day supervision on site on behalf of the client.
- Prepare R.F.I.'s (Request for Information) for any alterations needed due to changed site conditions and/or missing information for approval by Architect.
- Record on as built drawings all field modifications through all trade contractors and approved changes.
- Record changes and inform project team.
- Prepare and monitor minutes of meetings.
- Prepare daily reports.
- Update and monitor weekly / fortnightly progress schedules.
- Proactively prepare look ahead schedule.
- Approve monthly progress invoices and advise client for payments.
- Approve schedule of rates for change/extra items of works.
Pre final inspections
- Before issuance of substantial completion certificate get inspection done by project designers and publish snag list of items to be completed or modified to meet specifications.
- on completion of snag list, issue substantial completion certificate.
Contract closeout / warranties
- Collect all closeout documents from all contractors and vendors for client's future references.
- Get all operations and maintenance manuals for all products and equipment.
- Collect all guarantees and warranties for all requested materials.
- Arrange training to owners personal for operating equipment through manufacturers / suppliers.
- On completion of snag list transfer all documents to the client.
- Approve final bill and advice client for final bill payment and retention against virtual completion.
- Issue virtual completion certificate.
- Process for payment of retention at the end of defect liability period.